Tuesday 12 May 2015

The Gypsy Rose Tea Museum (Part 1)

Yesterday I visited a very new tea museum in Taradale.  I have always liked museums.  When I told my youngest son (Master 9) what I was doing yesterday he said "Oh Mum, are you going to drink tea with your little finger sticking out?"  

When I arrived I was amazed at the tastefully set out and full to over flowing place.  I was met by Deane (the owner of the museum).  He is a friendly and welcoming fellow, who is passionate about his collection.  He has a wealth of informative information about the pieces in the museum.

When I told Deane what Master 9 had said about my visit.  He told me the history of where this custom came from.  Apparently the emperors in China drank with their little finger sticking out as their cups didnt have handles and by using their pinky in such a fashion they were able to guide the cup better and not spill their tea.  It seems it caught on in Victorian times when it was popular to have fancy tea parties.

  





I really liked this lounge type area, a nice a place for a cuppa and a read.  Part of the museum is a shop where can buy tea and many other items related to the experience.   

Victorian Teapot Stands dated 1890 and an English Hot Water Urn, Thomas Hayter 1810.  


Tea cosies!

A Rovers Return Inn teapot - Ive always liked miniture houses and buildings similar to this 

Tea Bag Holders 

This collection of boxes was in a tea chest.  I use to have some tea chests to store papers and books in.


I am going to make this a 2 part story as I had so much trouble whittling down the photos I took. Come back tomorrow to see what other delightful items I saw.  If you cant wait that long and are in Napier pop into the museum and tell Deane you saw the blog post here :)

The Gypsy Rose Tea Museum
319 Gloucester Street
(upstairs cnr Gloucester Street and Puketapu Road)
Taradale
Napier





17 comments:

  1. I hope they have a beautiful cafe serving cream teas. Love the Rovers return teapot. Would love to visit just a little too far from London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deane tried to be able to serve tea in such a fashion as you describe however due to the red tape this isnt possible at the moment however he has plans which will make it so one day :)

      I knew my UK readers would love that teapot :)

      Delete
  2. Quite a pleasant looking place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tea, and I love museums... I could spend a lot of time in that place going 'oh' and 'ah' about things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive always loved museums :) and Deane made the visit very pleasant too :)

      Delete
  4. I would love to browse there. Haven't been to a tea museum.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fascinating place! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sara they are only 1/2 of what I took lol

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's exactly my thing - especially the cosies! I'll have to think about opening a museum like this, too ... thanks für showing us around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fascinating, I love tea! The tea cosies are fab :) I've always wondered about the little finger thing, that is interesting. Looks like a great place to visit x

    ReplyDelete